Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Feliz Navidad

We started off with a rare Christmas Full Moon (that we all slept through!). The image of a bright moon coinciding with Christmas Eve can be found in the classic poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas," (today more commonly known as "The Night Before Christmas") first published in 1823. 

The narrator described his view through his bedroom window when Saint Nick was about to make his first appearance in the tale: "The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow, gave the luster of mid-day to objects below."

Christmas morning we had a full moon officially reach peak fullness at 6:11 a.m. EST. A full moon coinciding with Christmas does not happen often — usually, once every 19 years. But this time, it is different, because a full moon on Christmas hasn't happened in nearly four decades. The last one was in 1977.

The boys woke up later in the morning to my surprise!  Diego had brought presents from Eduardo and Kattya from Costa Rica. When I walked out my room with Clark to take a walk there is were 4 different gift bags on the top of our landing. Clark and I went for a long walk. 

When we returned,Clark even tried to wake them up but with no luck. I filled their stockings while they were asleep :-0  I made coffee and buttermilk waffle sticks for breakfast. Clark slept with the boys.  Diego woke up and threw pillows at the boys from upstairs and they wondered where the pillows came from. Finally Diego yelled Feliz Navidad from upstairs and ran down the steps. The boys looked dazed!

Muchas gracias a Eduardo y Kattya para regalos.  I was not expecting that and it was a welcome surprise!  We had fun opening gifts and the stockings.  Kendall has also received presents from the Abuelos, Primos John Paul, Charlie, Ivonne, CJ and Peyton and Tio Charlie.  Remember: It doesn't matter what's under the Christmas tree, what matters is who's around it.

What a nice morning! The boys played and Diego worked on learning to play 'The House of the Rising Sun' on Kendall's Keith Urban guitar. I met a friend from church, Cheri,  to finish the Altar Guild from the 10:30 pm service. Cheri and I had fun catching and cleaning up. Cheri notarized all my documents for Kendall.

When I returned home, we packed up the car to go to Adrienne and Carlos's house for Christmas.  We thank them so much for the fun and fellowship and sharing Christmas with their family - there will be a new baby for them next year! The boys and I received more gifts and had some wonderful food. I was in charge of desserts and the favorite was the Wayne Hill Cherry Ganache [the Grand Traverse Cherry Crumb Pie, made from Michigan Montmorency cherries, is topped with our homemade chocolate ganache :-0] from the Grand Traverse Pie Company The Grand Traverse Pie Company I have ordered from them before and their pies are delicious. I was sad as I received 2 of the same pie and we missed trying the Torch Lake Coconut Cream Pie [vanilla cream full of coconut flakes loaded into our flaky crust and finished with whipped topping and toasted coconut]  maybe next time...

Carlos also picked up Kendall when Kendall said he couldn't do it  - twice.  I think Kendall has gotten taller so not too much longer and Carlos will have met his match! We headed home happy and full!

I tried to get some rest and the boys played. I had given everyone movie tickets for Christmas and we went to the 10:40pm showing of Point Break in 3D. It was a great movie to see in 3D and Diego lived vicariously through film enjoying the snow and snow boarding.  The storyline is that FBI Agent Johnny Utah is going undercover inside a group of skilled extreme athletes, led by a man named Bodhi, whom the FBI suspects to be professional criminals. Unlike the previous release, where the criminals used their money to fund their adventure sports lifestyle, the criminals are following a fictional path to enlightenment known as 'The Osaki 8'. According to  Johnny Utah 'the Osaki 8' is named after Ono Osaki, an eco-warrior who challenged the extreme sports world to a series of eight ordeals that honors the forces of nature. The challenge is to create a perfect line when completing the trials. Although Johnny Utah claims it is a path to enlightenment, Bodhi says that Ono Osaki was more interested in balance than enlightenment and he and the others in his group appear to want to use the teaching for liberating rather than material gain, even though it involves criminal activity.
The Osaki 8 include:
  • Emerging Force
  • Birth of Sky
  • Awakening Earth
  • Life of Water
  • Life of Wind
  • Life of Ice
  • Master of Six Lives
  • Act of Ultimate Trust
Shooting took place in a total of 11 countries across four continents, using actual extreme sports stars and stuntmen. Locations included Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Berlin, France, Mexico, Venezuela, French Polynesia, India and the US.  There was snowboarding, climbing, surfing, motocross riding, and wingsuit gliding. We considered Star Wars and the boys did not know that this movie was premiering on Christmas. After they saw the trailer, they had to see it.  I told Diego that this was a remake of the 1991 Point Break with Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze. He told me he has seen EVERY surfing movie.  Well, obviously he hadn't. I couldn't remember the year the original had premiered and when I told Diego it was 1991, he told me that was the year he was born. I was 21 and suddenly felt very old but more knowledgeable. He is going to also see the original :-)  We all give the movie a thumbs up except Kevin but he slept through the whole movie - how we have no idea!

One of the best Christmas's EVER - we hope your Christmas was as fun as ours!

Buenas!




 

 























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday Almost Friday

A Change Is Gonna Come Songwriter: Sam Cooke I was born by the river in a little tent Oh and just like the river  I've been ru...