Sunday, October 1, 2017

Social Saturday - Happy Anniversary Tia Lisa and Tio Steve

Kendall and I both woke up exhausted so we did not make it to Tae Kwon Do. Kendall had a great time spending the day with The Garage and their mentoring program. They are trying to match him with the right person and he enjoyed lunch and climbing a local rock wall with the group.  

Happy Anniversary Tia Lisa and Tio Steve!

Burned Biscuits
When I was a kid, my Grandma, as a treat, liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then.

I remember one night in particular, after a long, hard day, she placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my Granddad.

I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed!

Yet, all my Granddad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my Grandma and ask me how my day was at school. 

I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that very ugly burned biscuit.  He ate every bite of that rock-hard thing.  Never made a face or uttered a word about it!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my Grandma apologize to my Granddad for burning the biscuits.  And I'll never forget what he said, "Honey, I love burned biscuits every now and then."

Later that night, I went to kiss Granddad good night, and I asked him if he really did like his biscuits burned?  He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Grandma put in a hard day of work today and she's real tired.  And besides, a little ‘burned biscuit’ never hurt anyone!"

As I've grown older, I've thought about that incident and that comment many times. 

Life surrounds us with imperfect things and imperfect people.  I'm not the best at anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else.  But what I've learned over the years is that, learning to accept each other's faults as we manage our own, and choosing to celebrate each other's differences as we cope our own, is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today.  That you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God.  Because, in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit, or a burned Christmas dinner for 50, is hardly a deal-breaker or a life-changer.  

We can and should extend this to any relationship.  In fact, having “understanding” is the foundation of any relationship, be it a husband-wife, a parent-child, boss-employee or friendship!

So, please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burned one will do just fine.

Consider passing this along to someone who has enriched your life or whose life needs enrichment.

And, of course, always be kinder than necessary because every single person you meet  is fighting some kind of battle.

Buenas noches!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Allison, I'm passing along this maybe a bit burnt biscuit to someone who has enriched my life(YOU)! As I continue to look forward to reading&following your Blog, I also enjoy the adventures,learning experiences,good + bad times you & Kendall share.Your post entitled"Burnt Biscuits"was a very thought-provoking one & a reminder that all of us truly need every now & then. THANKS FOR SHARING WITH ME*

    ReplyDelete

Thursday Almost Friday

A Change Is Gonna Come Songwriter: Sam Cooke I was born by the river in a little tent Oh and just like the river  I've been ru...