Buenas noches!
I think both Kendall and I are finally on Costa Rican time. I let him stay up later than 9pm last night since the abuelos called and I was trying to finish last night's blog post. He slept later until 8am, which is better for breakfast since there are fewer people. Regardless of the number of people, folks like to watch us and sometimes comment. I don't mind when he behaves but when he doesn't listen, an audience doesn't help! He does listen for the most part when I try to guide him now.
I am having Kendall learn everyone in the Apartotel's name since they know his name and speak to him. He also asks everyone many questions. So we now know Melisa who makes breakfast, Brenda who cleans our room, Geraldo who cleans the pool and does maintenance work around the Apartotel and Roberta at the front desk. It does feel like home here.
No television in the evening seems to the worst punishment ever so as soon as I say that he stops what he is doing. I am not allowing television during the day - only at night. Breakfast finishes at 10 am so I told him he could go in the pool after the breakfast was over so as not to disrupt other guests. It was 9:30am so we came back home to wait and he decided to use the iPad. Although he is not letting me play with him, I have changed the apps based on what he seems to like. He has discovered all of the new ones so far without me telling him. He found the ABC song (but I can't sing it) and seems to really like that and I added interactive books that will show the English word with a picture and then say it for you. We are sharing the iPad and iPhone and I am lucky I have one of each. So one of us has one or the other during the day. If there is app I want him to look at, I start it on the device I have. He comes over to check it out based on the sound and then we trade devices. We did that several times today! The disadvantage is that my apps are all over the place since he moves them around. The advantage is he finds things I didn't know I had. Tomorrow I hope to explain some the apps in English so he can use the app better.
The iPad kept him occupied until 11am and then he remembered the pool. We stayed until noon and then went home for almuerzo. After lunch, Kendall continued to check out all the new apps on the iPad/iPhone. Late afternoon, Eduardo texted me that he has Skype so we skyped with Kevin and Eduardo. We couldn't see them but could talk to them. Kevin and Kendall played the flutas (recorders) together and chatted. Kevin and Kendall did end up talking on the phone. I didn't catch everything but Kendall laughed a lot. Eduardo mentioned that he has promised to take Kevin to Disney World when he is 15. Kendall will be 13 then. Eduardo mentioned he needs to start saving and I told him so do I! Kendall and I also hope to come back to Costa Rica next year.
Dinner was not as successful tonight. We had salad and pasta and it was just OK. And Kendall does not like frijoles negroes (black beans) - no ifs, ands or buts. We are running out if his favorite foods and condiments so maybe we will go to the grocery store tomorrow if he asks for something we don't have :) Otherwise we are relaxing at home. See photos below.
Tonight, he is already negotiating a later bedtime if the abuelos call during TV time. He has already suggested 2 later bedtimes!
3 días hasta los abuelos están aquí (3 days until the grandparents are here)!
No matter how one receives a child, it is a miraculous gift from God. Once upon a time, there was a family of one. This family was blessed but had an open heart and home. By choice, we have become a family, first in our hearts, and finally in breath and being. We are an open family and hope everyone with ties to Kendall Alejandro or Allison Elizabeth stay in touch.
Thursday Almost Friday
A Change Is Gonna Come Songwriter: Sam Cooke I was born by the river in a little tent Oh and just like the river I've been ru...
-
We left Baltimore at 7am and arrived in Phoneix about 9:30am. A decent flight. Our first stop was the Westgate Entertainment District in...
-
We did it! I had a sleepless night and kept checking the clock every few hours but Kendall slept very well. He woke up on his own while t...
-
Hoy fue un gran día para Kendall y yo! Translation: Today was a big day for Kendall and myself! I was given guardianship over Kendall th...


No comments:
Post a Comment