Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Deconstructing Kendall

Let me first explain the title of this post - Deconstructing Kendall. I do not like the word deconstruct since it means to break down into components or to dismantle. My dental hygenist and I were both waiting for children at the same time. She for her own biological child and myself for Kendall. We both received word at about the same time that she would have a son in 9 months and I was matched to Kendall. At a dental visit after Kendall and I became a family, she told me about a friend in Romania (She is Romanian) that adopted a 3 year old girl from Russia and that she was "decontructing" what the girl had learned. And I thought what an interesting and negative word choice that was. Now, I understand a little better why she chose that word. Kendall has numerous maravilloso qualities that I love and that others have pointed out to me. He is a very loving, polite, happy, funny, empathetic and intelligent boy. He is also very independent (because he had to be), stubborn, listens to only what he wants to hear, follows the direction he wants to do and can be impulsive acting before he thinks about the consequences.

I enjoy the word deconstruction in cooking. Deconstruction in cooking, also known as "destructured" cooking, emerged in the early nineties thanks to the genius of the Spanish chef Ferran Adrià, whose gourmet workshop elBulli produced dishes that were physically unlike the originals but with all their flavors preserved. This gastronomic concept involves changing the appearance of the various ingredients used in a dish, but preserving and even reinforcing the intensity of their flavors. To do this, each of the components is treated separately, changing and transforming presentation, textures and forms, and playing with temperatures. This means that the same dish might combine a foam, a crispy ingredient, an ice-drink and a gelatin, for example. The appearance of the deconstructed dish differs radically from the original, although it should retain much of its essential character. So Kendall - here we go :-0

Kendall was excited to go to school this morning. I reminded him that it is important for him to work with Mrs. Applegate. She will decide if he has done well for the week and whether he will receive a reward for a job well done at school. Mrs. Applegate e-mailed me that Kendall had another great day considering the weather and the water problems at school.  She asked whether Kendall knows the alphabet and his letter sounds.  He does know his letters but he needs to think about it. He is still learning English letter sounds. We have been practicing this summer but I think a good review and why it is important from multiple folks would help.

When I looked for his school paperwork, I found that his water bottle was not closed correctly and all of his folders, notebooks and even a library book were wet in his backpack. We talked about the water bottle this morning and I put the water in a ziplock back in his backpack so if it leaked the bag would protect his school items. So we talked about leaving the water bottle on a spot on the side of the backpack and checking the seal. Most of the folders and 3 out of the 4 notebooks are OK but one 
notebook was very wet. We also talked about the fact we would have to buy the library book if we damage it and if we have to buy notebooks and books over and over that would come out of his toy fund. He said he was sorry and we gave each other a hug.

We practiced the alphabet again tonight and he did a good job. I would like Kendall to have reading and speech help as soon as possible. For math, we reviewed addition today and did work on subtraction over the summer. We will review subtraction tomorrow. He does use his fingers and I encouraged him use a number line also.  Mrs. Applegate found it very difficult to keep him focused and motivated so we will work on that. Ms. Clark, the English as a Second Language Teacher, will meet him on Thursday and we will come up with a plan. She will be at the school every 4 days. I spoke to her for quite awhile about Kendall and we look forward to working with her.  Kendall did tell me he threw a top of a pen at other classmates with no 'I'm sorry.'   I told him that means he did it on purpose and was not an accident. He told me it was an accident and will say 'I'm sorry' tomorrow. 

Mrs. Applegate did tell me about Kendall throwing things and some excess talking in class in her e-mail update. She would like to build his self confidence with things that he is able do independently and be successful with. Everyone is trying to get to know each other this week and it's hard to know what Kendall is truly capable of.  He was much more willing to try work today! After reviewing the  alphabet and addition we went over his work that was sent home. I told him to always write his name on his papers or he would not get credit for his work or get a zero. We reviewed his sheets and added to update his work.

Kendall checked out a book about John Henry from the library, intrigued by the train. We read half of the book with me paraphrasing in Spanish. He didn't want me to stop! We watched Parts 1 and 2 of the John Henry Disney videos also.

We chatted with the Abuelos and watched So You Think You Can Dance. Tomorrow school was cancelled due to a water pump problem so Kendall will go to the YMCA.

Buenas noches!


John Henry Part 1 of 2





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday Almost Friday

A Change Is Gonna Come Songwriter: Sam Cooke I was born by the river in a little tent Oh and just like the river  I've been ru...