That is the YMCA theme for this week. When I dropped off Kendall this morning, he looked at the sign and said '¿Cómo se dice? I told him Double Dog Dare and that he would find out what that means. In hindsight, I think he truly did and is trying to Double Dog Dare me.
When I picked him up, I discovered two Parental Feedback Forms, the one below and another for a minor injury opening a drink and requiring a band-aid. Kendall and I sat at a picnic table to discuss this and Marty, the Camp Director, joined us. It seems, according to Kendall, the other camper made the gesture first and he copied it. He used the word 'olividar' which I was not familiar with. I looked it up and it means to forget. He knows what this gesture means and it is unacceptable to use it in any country. We have discussed this before. He did not say he was sorry because he didn't mean it but I told him he had to apologize tomorrow. He also said he took the cards and crumpled them. I asked him if he remembered our conversation this morning that another form meant punishment for a week. So he has no TV/films, bike, scooter, skateboard or playing with with his toys in the basement only schoolwork, computer for schoolwork and reading until next Monday night. He has lost anything that was fun. He asked about La Mancha and we volunteer ther by helping to take care of animals. We talked about going but making him watch instead of participating. I was making plans for Saturday to meet the Cardosos, another family waiting to adopt from Costa Rica, at a drive-in theater that I am going to have to cancel and I told him that.
When we arrived home, I had him take a shower and made a hot dog with rice and vegetables for dinner. He asked for pizza but I told him no since he will not get what he wants this week. Upstairs, he worked on the computer but seemed to have some fun with that. I told him he was going to have to do the computer with me and he did not care for that. And then we discussed what happened today again. And at some point in that conversation, he said 'What the hell' in English. I asked him to repeat it and then I explained what he said and why we do not curse in this house or anywhere else for that matter. He told me he learned this at the YMCA. He admitted again to everything and understands why it was wrong.
He wanted me to read him a book but I told him I needed to finish a few things downstairs. I also told him this was a punishment and he does not get what he wants. I told him to pick out a book and try to read it and look at the pictures. He also went to bed at 8pm and I told him he will go to bed at 8pm every day this week. He asked to do school work between 8 and 9 pm tomorrow - we'll see. He cried when I told him 8pm for bed and that Cordelia would be with me. Kendall was upset when he couldn't talk to the Abuelos. We did talk to the Abuelos for a few minutes later in the evening and I reminded Kendall that the Abuelos were coming in September so we hope this behavior does continue so he on punishment while they are visiting. Other than that he was all smiles and seemed pleased with himself which gave me some cause for concern that he is acting out. I explained to him that in school he will end up in the principal's office and then I will have to leave work so no money, he could be suspended and I may have to look for a new school. We have 2 more weeks until school starts to work on this.
We have been a family for 6 months juntos. Felicidades para nuestra familia and Kendall - the double dog dare is on. We'll get through this but this is going to be a LONG week.
Buenas noches!
No matter how one receives a child, it is a miraculous gift from God. Once upon a time, there was a family of one. This family was blessed but had an open heart and home. By choice, we have become a family, first in our hearts, and finally in breath and being. We are an open family and hope everyone with ties to Kendall Alejandro or Allison Elizabeth stay in touch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thursday Almost Friday
A Change Is Gonna Come Songwriter: Sam Cooke I was born by the river in a little tent Oh and just like the river I've been ru...
-
We left Baltimore at 7am and arrived in Phoneix about 9:30am. A decent flight. Our first stop was the Westgate Entertainment District in...
-
We did it! I had a sleepless night and kept checking the clock every few hours but Kendall slept very well. He woke up on his own while t...
-
Hoy fue un gran día para Kendall y yo! Translation: Today was a big day for Kendall and myself! I was given guardianship over Kendall th...


No comments:
Post a Comment