Saturday, April 20, 2013

Canciones, The Strasburg Railroad and El Dolphin Tale

We had a lazy start to the morning.  Rosalind has been eyeing the growing Larry as you can see in the video.  At some point, Kendall was in the bathroom singing 'I like to move it, move it,' so we searched songs in Espanol and English on the iPad.  We sang Old MacDonald Had A Farm and one of my favorites - 5 Little Monkeys. I also found that he likes Mundo Pocoyo!  I took a shower and when I came down he was actually watching Thomas the Train in Chinese.  I then asked him if he wanted to take a train today so we ended up at The Strasburg Railroad in the dining car.  He loves trains and we both enjoyed today. He walked up to all the conductors and told them he was from Costa Rica. He is actually telling everyone he meets he is from Costa Rica :-)

We watched El Dolphin Tale, which is about a boy who helps save a dolphin, and how the dolphin then helps save him. We meet young Sawyer Nelson who he has withdrawn into a shell and is a remote loner. He builds models in his workshop, plays video games and avoids interaction with anyone — even at the going-away party for his beloved cousin. His father left the family without explanation some years ago, which may account for his isolation; his mother, Lorraine does what she can, but feels closed out.  On the way home from his Florida grade school, Sawyer happens upon a dolphin stranded on the beach, its tail hopelessly twisted in the ropes of a lobster trap. He bonds with the creature until a rescue team arrives from a local animal hospital. Worried about the dolphin, Sawyer skips school to sneak into the animal hospital, where he's befriended by young Hazel Haskett, whose dad, Clay runs the facility. Sawyer at first is so shy he can barely speak, but these outgoing people encourage him to help with the dolphin, now living in a pool, and soon he breaks out of his seclusion and grows enthusiastic about working with the animal. This involves an attempt to preserve its swimming ability after infection requires its tail to be amputated. A prosthetics specialist at the nearby VA hospital designs artificial tails, finally finding one that will work. The actual dolphin involved, named Winter, stars in the movie as herself. Sawyer's cousin Kyle, a champion swimmer, enlists in the Army and returns with a leg injury that will affect his swimming. He is depressed until he gets involved in Winter's recovery. There are many special ninos and adults with prosthetics and I was happy to see Kendall called them all muy especial. We then talked about Cordelia and her braces. He asked why she does not wear the braces all the time and I showed him pictures of her as a baby before her operations. Kendall now wants to go to Florida where Winter lives to swim with her. Kendall is also getting better with telling time. I told him it was 11 o'clock and then he asked me why the clock said 10:53. I won't be able to not tell the truth about the time much longer!

I chatted with Tia Coreen and we are trying to plan a visit. Buenas noches!


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I envy you & Kendall having so much fun! What a terrific Mom you are for him. I wish I could be a part of your family,too! I'll even bring "MEOWSER"with me! She's our adopted female
    black cat! This A.M. she jumped into my clothes dryer after I took the load of clothes out of it + the scented dryer sheet.She must've liked
    the way it smelled(&was still a little bit warm inside).When she came out,I fed her+she licked my knee before I went upstairs to clean the parrot cages+feed that group!Take care&keep enjoying all life has to offer! Love,Karen A.

    ReplyDelete

Thursday Almost Friday

A Change Is Gonna Come Songwriter: Sam Cooke I was born by the river in a little tent Oh and just like the river  I've been ru...